Well, it’s half a skirt, really. Scary, isn’t it?
This is one of two panels. I am at the point where I have to decide if I follow the pattern and make two darts on each side of the center that are one inch deep and 6 inches long, identical for the front and back pieces.
Or should I make the skirt according to what I know fits me in a sewing pattern. Hmmmmm, I think I should follow my prior garment fitting experience.
The white thing behind all the tools on the knitting machine in the picture below could have helped me. This is called a knit leader.
Seriously, I was just too lazy to pursue learning it for this project. I have made enough skirts to know that I don’t really need much of a dart in front, if any. Sometimes just a slight decrease at the side seams works fine. And my back piece should have darts only 4 inches long.
However all that is information gained from making woven, stretch woven and knit skirts where the fabric isn’t staring at me, hanging from 200 needles. Such intimidation! It looks big enough to warp a house!
The largest size for this pattern is about 2.5″ too narrow for me. It finishes at 44″ at the hip and I need 46.5″. The standard bed only has 200 needles, all of which were put into use by the pattern’s largest size. So I took a semi-calculated guess based on the two swatches I had made, one at T5 and one at T4. I decreased the tension disk 2 clicks (slighty less than T5).
So now I’m on my own…I can’t follow the pattern strictly and I can’t get accurate measurements from the fabric on the machine. It will change in size when it’s washed, dried and pressed.
I’m winging it. Ohhhhhhh.