Sorry for the silence! I’ve taken some time off from sewing to celebrate our 16th wedding anniversary but finally, the shirt is finished. Adding to the time to finish I applied and then removed the original collar. The shaped collar fit wonderfully around the shoulders but since I had cut down the height of the collar stand the points of the collar spread were too close. I replaced it with this:
I recut the collar to curve the front edge away from the tie but next time I’ll add back a bit of curve over the clavicle. Husband is very pleased with a shirt that fits.
A good stiff starch helps this soft fabric behave as shirting.
I omitted the extra button on the sleeve placket because a few guys have complained about that second button: it rubs on desk edges and must be dealt with in order to roll up the sleeves.
The length of the sleeve was made so that the cut edge hit right above the wrist bone and then a 2.5″ cuff was added. This shirt is for sales conferences and must allow for setting up and breaking down of the display, packing and carrying heavy boxes, so lots of extended arm movement.
I cut the back yoke and it’s facing on a 30 degree angle from the stripes. That was fun! but increased problems in drafting for a differing right and left side because I got confused! As a result the neckline on the shirt body still needs some work…that’s for next time.