Man’s dress shirt, again.
I used a separate placket piece for both the left and right sides and fully interfaced each of the placket pieces in the hopes that the result would be a crisp yet appropriate placket for this new shirt. I usually just interface the public side of any piece and only to the fold or stitching line but I decided to “take a chance” and follow the instructions in the Island Pattern instructions for it’s Man’s Dress Shirts. This was not a good time to follow instructions.
I am using Palmer/Pletsch Perfect Fuse Light, that’s all that’s left in the stash. It is a great product for most women’s clothing. I would have rather used the Perfect Fuse Sheer as it is a bit more crisp but that is gone and mail order from the PP would take a week. Perhaps this men’s shirt placket would have been best interfaced only to the fold as was done on the pocket. Maybe I’ll try that next.
The pocket header is interfaced just in the folded area with only one layer of the same product applied to the inside of the fold and it produced a nice, crisp finish.
My last shirt was just one layer of woven non-fusible Veri-Shape from TheSewingPlace.com and I like it but it just didn’t support the soft fabric quite enough and the shirt needs a heavy starch to have the sharpness I am looking for. Shirt Fall 2006 Number 1
But I over did it when I doubled the thickness of the interfacing on the placket. The result was spongy, too thick and silly looking when used with my light weight gingham.
It looked like the poor shirt had somehow been attacked and overwhelmed by a fat placket that was going to keep the gingham from looking sweet, light and summery forever! Not the result I had in mind and my sympathies reached out to the poor shirt-to-be.
but it’s all got to go! I’d rather have a professional looking product.