Since my personal gown sewing is not a source of income I am back to the reality of developing my company and am attempting to create a business blog that will be attached to my company’s website.
We want to offer readers an inside look at what drives our innovative designs. Another goal is for my HusPartner to be able to write little tutorials on how to properly use some of his materials in the classroom and to offer podcasts. HusPartner is truly charming in his public persona and inspiring to many teachers in his thinking about materials. But his travel schedule is very burdensome and one day he may wish to slow down. In looking to the future I want to provide his personal touch online to our customers where they can refresh their excitement in using some of the materials within the classroom.
I downloaded the WordPress.org software and uploaded it to our website. All went well, the new blog became registered, I gained access to the new blog and we picked out a cool new theme. I am so excited by the freedom of choice and control that the “dot org” version of WordPress offers. And I was feeling pretty “smart”!
I got it to work, easy-peesy with this tutorial by LucidGreen.net But I realized that I had buried the “WordPress” folder inside the “Blog” folder. Getting to the administrative functions might pose a problem to HusPartner if he got a quickie flash of brilliance and wanted to post something without taking a lot of time from his day.
I was fully ready to reinstall the blog if needed but I wanted to try out just deleting the extra layer of file structure. Using WS_FTP Pro I downloaded the section of the website that included the blog files, made the changes, and uploaded, knowing full well that I might have to start all over because the registrations would not contain the same addresses. At best, I was hoping for a tweak, at worst and total reinstall, but ready.
However, something with the way the file structure on my HusPartner’s computer has been set up caused the whole website to be copied back again into the blog folder, duplicating everything and an old version of everything, at that!
Darn, OK. So we decided to delete the whole “Blog” folder from the website.
And WS_FTP Pro deleted our whole website.
All of it.
There is something in the file structure on the local machine that required the program to do this. It simply defies all logic unless this is a truth. HusPartner has been using this file structure for a couple of years so neither of us had any clue this would be the result!
We have backups. We are recovering and using this rebuild as a time to replace some of the utterly outdated software and structure.
But my new blogging adventure will have to wait for another day to get off the ground. I’m still pretty excited at the freedoms offered by the “dot org” version of WordPress!
Now, if I could only calm down the churning in the pit of my stomach!