I made this up quickly to test the sizing but I didn’t have enough fabric to make the tie nor cut the full length of the gown. I cut a size 16, altered to raise the waist and cut down the skirt width and length to fit the fabric I had for the test garment. Here’s how morning looks at my house these days, the unvarnished truth….
Those of us who are in charge of doing the laundry know when a robe and tie are in the washtub the tie often wraps around everything in the load and the result is massive wrinkles. I put a buttonhole in each tie end and a button at the waist’s side seam. It’s a fix that makes it easy to find the tie in a hurry blurry morning and the ties can be removed for laundry day.
I also used buttons and button holes instead of the called-for hook and eye closing at the wrap fronts.
And, yup, I didn’t button any of the front wrap buttons for these pictures. No excuses for it either.
I didn’t follow the directions for construction of the yoked areas as I love the “burrito” method taught by Margaret Islander in her Shirts DVD. The result is so neat and more stable than hand stitches. See if you can pick up her videos at a sewing expo where the prices may be discounted. Soooo worth it!
The really great thing about this pattern is how well it is drafted and how well the fronts stay closed. It’s not too low cut in the bodice and the wrapped sections stay closed in this crisp table cloth cotton fabric. The lace used to outline the shoulder yokes was a freebie sent by an internet discounter years ago.
Sadly, I did not have enough fabric to make a tie in the back waist area. The tie is an absolute necessity to the overall design and my short skinny one just doesn’t provide the thrills that a long graceful one would.
I also suggest that anyone trying this pattern give thought to raising the armscye by at least .5″ and correspondingly cut the sleeve cap down.
I like this pattern! Here’s the link if you wish to see more pattern information: