More bad weather coming so here’s the coat, just a bit shy of finished:
This pattern is a 40’ish style with raglan sleeves and flare at the vented back center seam and side seams, (my hands in the pockets are pulling the side seam forward), bracelet length sleeves with turned up cuff and patch pockets
It’s straight sided when viewed from the front
front darts at the shoulder, folded to the outside of the coat and top stitched,
and a modified standing collar,
And lots of top stitching
I had to draft the lining and the back neck facing. I added a rat tail piping at the lining/front facing join but it seemed so small and inconsequential that I added a bigger and much fatter half-inch piping next to the first piping.
The lining still needs 2 details to be declared Finished!!!: First the hem needs to be attached via French tacks to the coat hem
And the front ease tucks need to be cross stitched down.
The main question about this coat is whether or not my vent lining technique will cause pulling. So far, the answer is no, there’s no pulling.
But I’ll have to wear it a while to test it in action
My next post will be some of the things I’ve learned in my research on adding a lining to a raglan coat. It’s been quite an adventure to discover a new-to-me vent technique using my older tailoring books.
More construction details to come and some explanation of fitting a lining by hand.